Sustainable Farm Research Field Assistant
Finca Osa Verde Mission: Finca Osa Verde is a working wildlife-friendly farm that supplies Osa Conservation’s field station kitchen and dining hall. Our vision is to create a model for the region, where we can demonstrate sustainable, integrated farming techniques that can be easily adopted by local farmers – improving livelihoods and positively impacting the environment.
As a Research Field Assistant with Finca Osa Verde, you will help us maintain our sustainable wildlife-friendly farm and grow the food you and other visitors enjoy while staying with us. You will learn all about tropical agro-ecology and sustainable agriculture principles through hands-on experience, animal husbandry, and systems of farm management.
Below is a list of regular responsibilities:
- Regular contact with Osa Conservation management/monthly reports
- Work Monday-Friday from 6:30 am to 2 pm; Outside of the 5-day commitment, you’ll be able to assist on other projects, and help our staff with various small tasks to keep our station running smoothly.
- Feed the animals, and helping maintain the greenhouses and animal enclosures.
- Assist with weeding, harvesting produce, and sowing crops.
- Giving presentations at local ecolodges and for student groups
- General support around the station and on science programs
- Farm life is not the easy life. You should be fit and healthy to participate. (There will be a lot of walking, bending, and lifting).
- Problem solving skills
- Able to work with little “day to day” guidance
- Time management
- Friendly, personable, comfortable with groups
- 6-12 month commitment study abroad or field experience
- Spanish language
- Basic experience in farming or animal husbandry
- Interest in gaining more international experience, learning more about how a nonprofit works, gaining grant-writing experience
To apply, email at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “RFA Sustainable Agriculture Application” with your resume and cover letter and the dates you are available to work in Costa Rica.