What will you do as a Conservation Volunteer?
Depending on the time of your visit and the length of your stay, you may participate in following projects:
- Plant & harvest on our 24-acre, wildlife-friendly sustainable farm
- Collect & grow native seeds in our tree nursery
- Plant native seedlings along key wildlife corridors to help rewild the Osa
- Monitor sites for reforestation and wildlife recovery
- Walk the beaches to gather data on sea turtles during nesting season
- Relocate vulnerable sea turtle nests and release baby sea turtles during hatching season
- Improve the extensive trail system through our primary and secondary forests
- Note: Training will be provided.
Why volunteer with us? As a Conservation Volunteer with us, you will:
- Gain real hands-on experience in field biology and conservation in one of the world’s most important biological hot spots.
- Learn from conservation professionals as you work alongside them in their projects and investigations.
- Explore our 7 miles of tropical rainforests trails and 2 miles of beautiful pacific coast beaches.
- Stay in open-air tropical cabinas & eat delicious food from our wildlife-friendly farm. We are vegetarian friendly!
- Spot our 460+ species of birds, 4 species of monkeys, 4 species of sea turtles, to name a few.
- Walk under some of the tallest trees in Central America.
- Make new friends and share in exciting new experiences.
- Take independent trips to nearby destination.
Accommodations: Conservation Volunteers stay at Osa Conservation’s biological station. Accommodations include a bunk bed with mosquito netting, clean sheets and a bath towel, 3 meals a day centered around local Costa Rican cuisine, and refreshing cold water showers (which are appreciated most days in the heat).
Requirements: To volunteer, we ask that you commit to a 2-week minimum stay to account for the 2-day training period, but you can stay for as long as you would like!
If you are interested in staying for 6 months or more, you may be eligible to apply for our Research Field Assistant positions that are offered for more specific opportunities.
If you are visiting for less than 2 weeks, we would love to have you join us as a Conservation Visitor (and you still get to see and do much of what is listed here!)
How to Apply: To apply, please fill out our online Volunteer Application form or email email@example.com with the subject line “Conservation Volunteer in the Osa” with you resume, cover letter and available dates to start your adventure in Costa Rica.
To learn more about our volunteer and conservation visitor rates, please visit our here.
Feel free to come alone (we are a welcoming team!) or organize your own group of friends & family for a unique volunteer vacation experience!