Why Sustainable Agriculture?
In recent years, there has been a massive shift in our ideas about how to feed the planet and grow that food. There is a movement toward small-scale, local farms that emphasize environmental sustainability. This type of food system provides consumers with healthy, seasonal produce while minimizing adverse impacts on the natural environment.
Finca Osa Verde is a small working farm that supplies Osa Conservation’s field station kitchen and dining hall. We utilize non-synthetic pesticides, emphasize local varieties, incorporate native plants, practice crop rotation and raise pastured livestock without the use of hormones or antibiotics.
The vision for Finca Osa Verde is to create a model for the region, where we can demonstrate sustainable, integrated farming techniques that can be easily adopted by local farmers – improving livelihoods and positively impacting the environment.
How You Can Help
As a volunteer, you’ll help us maintain our sustainable farm and grow the food you and other visitors enjoy while staying with us. Here’s a snapshot:
- Farm life is not the easy life. You should be fit and healthy to participate.
- You will rise early to start the day and spend lots of time outdoors in the sun, there will be a lot of walking, lifting, bending and squatting.
- You’ll dedicate your mornings to feeding animals, and helping maintain the greenhouses and animal enclosures.
- You’ll also spend time weeding, harvesting produce, and sowing crops.
What You’ll Learn
- All about tropical agro-ecology and sustainable agriculture principles through hands-on experience
- Animal husbandry
- Systems of farm management
Contact email@example.com for more information.
Other volunteer projects: