Administrative & Development Associate
Location: Washington, DC or Remote
About Osa Conservation
Osa Conservation’s mission is to conserve the globally significant terrestrial and marine biological diversity of the Osa Peninsula of Costa Rica by implementing ecosystem stewardship, enhancing scientific understanding, providing education and training, and creating sustainable economic opportunities.
We believe in a holistic approach to conservation, one grounded in an understanding of the ecological, social, and economic relationships that shape environmental problems. Our work is founded in science and supported by strategic partnerships, well-informed decision-making processes, and a strong commitment to improving lives through protecting nature. We recognize that in order for conservation to succeed, it must be coupled with science, community engagement, and strong systems of support upon which to collaboratively build a more sustainable future.
Summary of the Position
Osa Conservation is seeking an Administrative & Development Associate to support operations. The ideal candidate has experience in nonprofit administration, development, and fundraising. This is a dynamic position working with both administrative and field staff to conserve terrestrial and marine ecosystems in Costa Rica. This role is a unique opportunity to strengthen and contribute to a quickly-growing organization whose mission is to protect one of the last wild places on our planet.
Duties and Responsibilities
Administration & Finance:
- Ensure compliance with DC nonprofit requirements and state registrations
- Administer OC’s general gmail account, respond to emails and coordinate with field staff, answer phone calls
- Maintain electronic file systems, software/organization subscriptions, and website
- Track organizational insurance to review with the Finance Director regularly
- Compile, print, and distribute packet for board meetings 3 times annually
- Help coordinate the semi-annual online newsletter and other online postings
- Help recruit and manage interns working remotely
- Maintain board member directory & term dates
- Maintain all HR documents and relevant information for all US based OC staff/consultants
- Coordinate with Program Directors for all job openings and postings for both US and CR teams
- General HR processes as requested by supervisor, Executive Director, and Finance Director
- Work very closely with HR Director in Costa Rica as needed
- Pay bills and invoices, including reviewing/ paying credit cards on time
- Assist in making purchases and travel arrangements for field staff, including tracking and processing all expense, reimbursements, and cash advances
- Maintain receipts of all US purchases and ensure communication of proper expense allocations of transactions.
- Complete end-of-month accounting needs (scan/review/upload transactions)
- Manage organization’s donations receiving accounts (PayPal, Donately, etc.)
- Process funds, manage CRM database, send acknowledgment letters, and follow internal donation communication protocols
- Manage electronic files on donors and prospective donors
- Assist with annual fundraising strategies as needed (e.g. drafting letters/emails, organizing and sending packages, etc.)
- Work closely with Program Directors to develop fundraising plans
- Develop proposal packages, including managing deadlines, writing narratives, and finalizing required documents.
- Assist with event planning and visitor/student group recruitment to support Piro Biological Station
- Maintain and share reporting calendars for all internal & external deadlines for grants
- Assist Administration & Develop Manager and Program Directors to coordinate grant expenses and financial reporting with accounting to ensure compliance with the terms and conditions of the award
- Assist Administration & Develop Manager and Program Directors to ensure timely and effective reporting requirements, including synthesizing, drafting, and finalizing grant narratives/presentations and completion of financial reports
- Undergraduate degree required; 3-5 years demonstrated experience with nonprofit administration and development
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Sensitive to cultural differences and able to communicate precise information to a wide range of coworkers, visitors, partners, and donors
- Comfortable working independently, multi-tasking, and being proactive
- Experience working with teams under strict deadlines
- Advanced logistics, time management, and problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Drive, WordPress
- Basic Spanish language skills desirable but not required
How to Apply
Send your CV and cover letter to “[email protected]” with the subject “Administrative and Development Associate” by September 17th, 2021. Only successful applicants continuing to the interview stage will be contacted. Applicants who do not follow these guidelines will not be considered.