Strategic Communications Coordinator
At Osa Conservation, we reconnect the rainforest, monitor and protect biodiversity, and work hand-in-hand with the local community to build climate resilient ecosystems for people and wildlife. Our team works across Southern Costa Rica, connecting and protecting landscapes and biodiversity from the ridges of the Talamanca mountain to the coral reefs of the Golfo Dulce and the Pacific Ocean.
Be part of our conservation successes and come share the story of Earth’s greatest wildernesses. The Communications Coordinator will lead all media and communications efforts of Osa Conservation. This person will strategically communicate the successes of our conservation team by making photos, videos, audio stories, assisting with managerial materials, and more.
This role requires the ability to cooperate across multiple work streams, manage the non-profit’s daily public presence. The candidate must be an intrinsically-motivated, highly-organized team player who is solutions-oriented. This person needs to be prepared (and excited!) for the challenges of working in a remote field setting (one hour away from the nearest town). This role is a unique opportunity to strengthen one of Costa Rica’s largest conservation organizations and support the protection of one of the last wild places on our planet.
Responsibilities and Deliverables:
- Lead the maintenance and updating of an appealing and user-friendly Osa Conservation website.
- Establish and generate a strategic blog plan for the Osa Conservation website.
- Social Media
- Lead all OC media production including internal and external photos, videos, audio stories, news publications, etc.
- Manage OC’s content calendar weekly, which will include 6 posts on Facebook, 6 posts on Twitter and 6 posts on Instagram per week – on some occasions this content will overlap between platforms but will need to be adapted to platform style.
- Lead OC’s Media Committee to inspire the conservation team to excel in scientific communications and storytelling.
- Promote Osa Conservation’s scientific publications utilizing creative content.
- Oversee and enforce media protocols (including content suitability, post standardization, and formatting) across all internal and public platforms
- Edit and produce 2 video series “From the Field” (1) and “Conservation Cam” (2) on a weekly basis.
- Measure impact of social media by analyzing metrics and producing a quarterly report
- Strategic Communications
- Establish a strategic content calendar to effectively communicate Osa Conservation’s successes in relation to global local, national and international conservation issues.
- Liaise with external live virtual event organizations to host live events from the Osa Conservation Campus.
- Create and publish a strategic quarterly newsletter.
- Support the creation of the Corcovado Marine Protected Area by composing relevant and topical content, liaising with external news publications (#corcovadoazul).
- Fundraise through grant writing and content production on a quarterly basis.
- Create visually beautiful presentations and reports for donors and collaborators to communicate Osa Conservation;s success (eg; annual report).
- Support the launch and promotion of citizen science campaigns.
- Documentation and Media Archives
- Oversee the monthly organization of OC’s media archive.
- Accompany the science team in the field weekly to create powerful content that tells a story about the work of Osa Conservation (marine program, restoration and rewilding program, wildlife monitoring program, sea turtle conservation program, botanic program and the organic agroecological farm) and the importance of conserving the Osa Peninsula.
- Serve as representative of OC by upholding the highest level of professionalism at all times and properly communicating the organization’s mission.
- Strong photography skills with an interest in photographing nature and conservation
- Strong video skills with experience in pre- and post-production
- Confidence with strategic media production and content management software
- Experience with Adobe Suites, Google Suites, Canva, etc.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish – written and spoken
- Good physical fitness level – able to hike off-trail through the rainforest carrying heavy equipment for several hours
- Excited to live in a challenging remote location setting in shared accommodations
- Strong communication, teamwork and social skills
- Must be solutions oriented, able to diagnose problems quickly, and have foresight into potential issues
- Ability to foster culture of teamwork and contribute to different issue areas across organization as needed
- Interest in tropical rainforest conservation and nature
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and/or minimum of 3 years related work experience
- Experience in project management and cross-functional collaboration
- Close attention to detail and quick turnaround time for work products
- Other tasks as required by management
To apply for this position please send your CV, cover letter and 1 minute long video with the email title “media and communications coordinator” to [email protected]osaconservation.org by 30th January 2023. Candidates who do not follow this application process will not be selected and only candidates who are selected for interview will receive a response. The successful candidate will need to be able to be on site within 2-3 weeks of job offer.